Travel & Discover Art in the City Part 1: The Carpenter, Taichung, Taiwan

The Carpenter Woodcraft Studio – Experience the Art of Carpentry


I am a fan of art.


The giant deer sculpture with a Merry Christmas scarf welcomes you upon entering the Carpenter Woodcraft Studio (the photo was taken last November 2018 and their theme was Christmas) 


My mom once told me that I had started drawing when I was only 2 years old. I traced lines on every flat object within sight. And that is why my parents and older sisters did not intend to teach me how to write or draw. They let me explore my talent and learn on my own. They simply gave me a mini blackboard, some chalk, as well as cardboard letters and shapes to encourage me to draw and write. I copied the letters, lines, and curves on my board. Eventually, I learned to recreate objects on paper using graphite and charcoal.

The Carpenter's signature chess board and pieces



At present, I don’t draw much anymore due to my busy work schedule and chronic back pain. Nonetheless, I still get to appreciate works of art through my travels, and recreate them using my own skills when I have a chance.     

Take your seat and let's start to learn :)  

Variety of woods they use for woodcraft

Now, let me relate to you my experience of making wooden art in the city of Taichung.

When our guide, Mr. Charles Tung, mentioned the word carpenter, the singing duo came to mind. He wasn’t really talking about the singers, but the place in Taichung where wood items are made and repaired.  As we arrived at the shop, I quickly noticed the wooden structures in various sizes at the entrance. Then, we were greeted by a staff member and introduced the Carpenter Woodcraft Studio to us.

Mr. Charles Tung, our tour guide, holding a mug coaster while introducing the brief history of the studio. 


The Carpenter Woodcraft Studio became what it is now when the owner’s daughter and son thought of infusing modernity into the traditional woodworking to create something new and fun. They put modern elements of carpentry in their crafts such as furniture, stationeries, toys, and so on. Visitors have a chance to do the same as the studio offers a DIY workshop for making wooden art. And for me, that was the most exciting part of our visit.

For sale items displayed with Nina Depon my picture buddy.

After listening to the brief history and touring the main shop, we entered the workshop area to create our wood masterpiece. We were taught how to make a wooden coaster. It was not complicated at all since small wooden pieces were provided for us and we simply assembled them. In spite of the activity’s simplicity, the idea of completing something like a jigsaw puzzle is exhilarating for me.


Let's begin the workshop with Teacher Pony

And we are done with our coasters! L-R: Teacher Pony, Nina Depon, Charito Nario (author), Michael Cudiamat, Simon Yim, and Ching Ting (of Taiwan Tourism Bureau) 

I have to say this is one of best experiences during my trip in Taiwan. I was extremely impressed how the wooden crafts were made without the use of any nails.     


Aren't they lovely? These 2 cuties welcome you at the cafe


Welcome to Carpenter's Café


After the workshop, the staff led us to the rear area of the shop. There, we found a small café where guests can relax, eat snacks, or sip a cup of coffee or tea. Next to it is a playground which children will surely love. The place is indeed ideal for families with young children.


The simple yet relaxing ambiance of the café. 


The Carpenter Woodwork Studio is located in Houli District, Taichung. You can visit their website at https://www.carpenter.com.tw/.

Just beside the playground is the warehouse where the woodcraft items are being produced. 

Special thanks to the Taiwan Tourism Bureau and Rakso Travel for this amazing trip.

Stay tuned for the second part of Travel & Discover Art in the City series. 

* * *

AUTHOR’S NOTES: Travel & Discover Art in the City Series

2 Comments

  1. I'd love to try my hand at making wood art too. Great photos, btw!

    ReplyDelete